Participation in the LowVisionSupportGroup.com website constitutes agreement to the following guidelines, which apply to community blogs, newsletters, forum posts, replies, comments, profile information, avatars, signatures, any other content posted or authored on this site and participation in general.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM OUR MEMBERS:
Respect is the name of the game. For most members, the only guideline needed is “Act like a respectful adult.” We know that most members are here for a positive user experience. However, for the minority of members who feel the need to push the envelope, guidelines are a necessity. It is impossible to create a document that addresses every potential scenario, problem, or concern, so please treat this as a guideline of expectations.
- Members are expected to act respectfully towards each other. Inflammatory and defamatory comments such as flaming, taunting, bullying, general disrespect, name-calling, etc. will not be tolerated and are not necessary. If you do not agree with another member, say why – respectfully.
- Public areas of our website will include ads to help offset the costs of a self-funded website. These ads will attempt to generate revenue through avenues that we deem appropriate. Any content that violates our Member Guidelines will be removed.
- Cross posting, duplicate posting, throttle posting, bots, and unauthorized advertising (spam) are not allowed in the online community and will result in the removal of the content by site administrators.
- While member post count has meaning, it should not be taken too seriously. Attempts to artificially increase your post count are prohibited. This includes the mass creation of short or meaningless posts. All are subject to removal as well as account suspension and/or termination.
- Unauthorized advertisements are not allowed. Generally, posts made specifically for the sole purpose of promoting a website, product or service are considered advertising. This includes posts with external links to a website that you are in some way affiliated with. It does not matter if it is a commercial website, a personal website, a nonprofit website, etc. We do authorize and/or sell advertisements for certain areas of our site. If you are interested in utilizing this option, please contact us at email@example.com
- All links in your forum signature must be kept in your signature within your profile. Anyone found to be posting excessive links to their websites or suspected of using “sneaky” advertising methods is in violation of this guideline. You may only post a link to your site/a site that you are in some way affiliated with if the link is specifically relevant and/or helpful to answer a question that is being asked and the answer cannot be simply posted without the link. Even then, we ask that you link directly to the page where the information can be found and that you give credit to the author of that content. Non-specific/off-topic, excessive and/or unnecessary links will be tagged as advertising. If you are found to be excessively posting links to your site (or you appear to be seeking out threads where your link may be relevant, so that you can post it), you may lose the ability to post links and/or be subject to account suspension or termination.
- Do not post personal, real-life information such as home addresses and home phone numbers. All personal information obtained in the process of registration will be kept confidential and WE WILL NEVER DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES. EVER.
- As this is an English-speaking community, we require that posted content be in the English language, so that it can be well received and properly monitored. Unless otherwise approved, posts in foreign languages will be removed.
- Vulgar language and inappropriate material are not allowed and will be removed. Any attempts to circumvent the word censoring feature of the community software also violate this guideline. If your post contains a word that is censored by the software, you must remove that word, or the post will be removed. If you feel that the censor is acting in error, please contact us.
- We try to maintain a family friendly atmosphere whenever it is possible within the main subject matter of this community. Please keep this in mind when participating.
- When linking to outside websites, you must ensure that the content of the link is appropriate for our community, in line with the guidelines laid out here. This includes mentioning or referencing a site, even if the mention is not hyperlinked. If you post a link and that link is automatically censored, it is an inappropriate link and you should remove it from your post immediately. If left, all posts that feature inappropriate links will be removed.
WHAT MEMBERS CAN EXPECT FROM US:
- Content posted by members on our site including the community forums belong to the member that posted it. We take every reasonable measure to make sure LVSG is a safe place where members may express themselves without the fear of privacy encroachment, retribution, retaliation your privacy VERY SERIOUSLY and frankly, have zero interest or the time to read messages between members. consider every member’s privacy, anonymity, data. However, please understand that said content is subject to review in the event of a reported violation. This includes messages from other users that sit on our site. Only site administrators can read these messages and will ONLY do so if a credible violation is reported that gives us a reasonable, legitimate reason to do so. Most complaints do not require this and all reasonable attempts to notify the member will be made before reading messages and only if / when appropriate. It is extremely rare, but it does happen.
- Posts that discuss illegal activities, transactions, or websites will be removed. This includes the posting of information or content that you have obtained illegally. We maintain a zero-tolerance policy for piracy or copyright infringement, or any other similar activities.
- Do not post copyrighted materials (articles, videos, audio, etc.) that you do not have permission to reproduce or distribute. For text articles, most of the time you may quote a small portion of the article (usually no more than 1/5 or 1/6) and you must link to the source (if online) or provide the source (if offline). Posting the entire article, even with the source, constitutes copyright infringement. This is not the place to illegally trade or distribute copyrighted (or those with questionable copyright status) video or audio clips.
- When posting and linking to images, videos, files, etc., please refrain from hotlinking. This is the direct linking to images (.jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, etc.), video (.avi, .mov, .mpg, .mpeg, .wmv, etc.), audio (.mp3, .wav, etc.), archives (.zip, .rar, etc.) or otherwise downloadable or streamable files, on servers that you do not have permission to link to, instead of linking to the page where the item can be found. This includes providing a direct link to the file, even if that file is not embedded into your post. This practice costs the server owner money and resources.
- When an opinion-based discussion is being had, do not state things like “there is no argument” as if your opinion is the only one or the only one that matters. When someone has clearly stated their opinion, do not say things like “Are you serious?” and “Are you kidding me?” Remember, this is not a debate club. This is a friendly discussion community. Allow people to have their opinion. No one is to act as some sort of opinion judge, responding to each one to say whether they agree with it or not or whether it is a valid, well thought out opinion.
- Signatures are encouraged if they do not violate other provisions of this or other governing documents. The text in the signature may be customized by editors used in the forums. It is recommended that you stick with readable fonts and colors and that the size is not too large. You may mention websites and ventures that you are in some way related to if they are otherwise appropriate for this community.
- Automated account creation, participation, and content scraping is not permitted.
- The owner and administrator of this site has the final say in cases of a dispute. If you have a problem, please send a private email to abuse@lowvisionsupportgroup and do not post it publicly on the website. Discussions that question or reference administrative decisions or potential administrative decisions, such as post removals and thread closures, is disrespectful. We are not perfect and if you feel that we have made a mistake, please privately contact a staff member and we will review the situation. If you would like a copy of your removed post so that you can adjust it and repost, please contact us.
- Freedom of speech rights do not extend to privately owned websites, such as this one. These guidelines detail the types of behavior and activities that are allowed here.
- If a member violates our guidelines and shows a disregard for them, our staff, and our community, they run the risk of losing their account. We reserve the right to deactivate any account and to edit or remove any content without warning. These guidelines are subject to change at any time without notice.
- Do you have a question about our Member Guidelines or anything else? Do you have a suggestion? Do you want to offer some feedback? Or are you experiencing some trouble with the site? Well, no matter what it is, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be glad to help in any way that we can.
Thank you for visiting Low Vision Support Group!